Wednesday, June 17, 2015

How to make the best spaghetti sauce

There's nothing like homemade spaghetti sauce that has been simmering on the stove all day. It's thick and rich and delicious. Please note that my spaghetti sauce was for the freezer. If you're planning to can your spaghetti sauce, you'll have to go through a certain process to make your sauce safe to eat.

First I blanched my fresh tomatoes. Here's how I made last summer's blanched tomatoes into a year's supply of spaghetti sauce:
After blanching the tomatoes, run the tomatoes
under cold water, washing out the seeds. I thought
I was really using a lot of tomatoes (18-20). But
all those tomatoes really only made the equivalent of a
28-ounce can of diced/crushed tomatoes.
Consequently, I had to run to the grocery store
to get cans and cans of tomato sauce, tomato paste
and diced tomatoes. Plus my hand-held can opener
bit the dust, so I had to make a separate trip
to buy a new one. Plus I decided that I might
as well get a cheapo electric can opener, which
kept me from spraining my wrist opening
all those cans with the hand-held opener
This is where you use your family's secret recipe. Cover and let simmer.


Mmmm, thick and rich

My recipe made a LOT of spaghetti sauce to freeze.
But then I did quadruple the recipe. I thought, might as well
make a lot. It's not much more work than cooking a single recipe.
After filling freezer jars with sauce, don't forget to label them.
Otherwise, what you think you'll always remember will become
the latest Mystery Food. I speak from personal experience.

If you would like this delicious recipe,
please comment in the form at the very bottom of this page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment