Thursday, April 23, 2015

Square Foot Gardening 3 of 5: Building the boxes

Once I decided that I needed four boxes for my Square Foot Garden, I enlisted Muscleman Ed and The Tattooed One to make my 4-foot-square boxes out of 1x6x16 cedar boards. Cut the boards into 4-foot lengths. Sometimes your hometown lumber store will do this for you free.


If I were doing it again, I would make each box 10 to 12 inches deep instead of 6 inches deep as recommended in the All New Square Foot Gardening manual. This is a VERY intensive way of gardening, so you want your plants to be able to get lots of nutrients and develop deep root structures.


If you're going to plant root vegetables (carrots, onions, potatoes and the like), I would recommend making your boxes 16 to 20 feet deep. I actually stacked concrete blocks around to make a deep bed. This had the added benefit of providing holes for my herbs.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment