Saturday, April 4, 2015

Pole bean timeline

Pole beans are green beans that have feelers that flop about in the breeze and grasp anything they can climb on. It's kind of creepy when you think about it.


Moving past that haunting mental image, I had great success with my first pole beans last spring. I had grown bush green beans with success for several seasons, but wanted to save space and have my bean plants grow up instead of out. This necessitated giving them something to climb on.

Making a good start, 28 days after planting. 
For garden structures, I usually make do with whatever I have. I could have made a nifty teepee structure out of rebar, but I decided to splurge and buy two of Burpee's Pole Bean and Pea Towers. I'm glad I did, because the beans sure liked them.

Putting out feelers, 36 days after planting.
Growing, 39 days after planting.
Climbing, 48 days after planting.
Flowering, 64 days after planting.

First pole bean, 70 days after planting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment