Sunday, March 15, 2015

Peggy Martin rose

I've always wanted a climbing rose but was afraid I would kill it. Then I noticed that my neighbor's was thriving. I went begging them for cuttings, and they graciously let me get several.
Bringing home my cuttings, I planted about 12 or 15 eight-inch twigs in this way: Peel away a few inches of each stem's "bark," dip the end in root stimulator, stick down in the dirt of a potted plant outside. It took about two years for me to get any kind of growth, and I only got two viable rose bushes. I planted one in the ground to climb up a trellis set against my brick. The other one is still in the original pot but going like gangbusters compared to the twig it once was.
This beautiful climbing rose is called the Peggy Martin Rose -- a true survivor from Hurricane Katrina. Gardener Peggy Martin's house and garden were covered with 20 feet of salt water. When the water receded, however, her rose was still alive and thriving. Thus, the famous climbing rose named after a veteran gardener.

Leave me a comment and tell me your climbing-rose story.

4 comments:

  1. I just learned something new! We have this climbing rose and I didn't know the name of it. Our across the street neighbor, a very sweet widow, gave us a potted clipping of her rose when Cooper was born. This year is the first year it has bloomed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you have the name of it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful rose bush!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Peggy Martin roses.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment