Tuesday, March 10, 2015

How to harvest lettuce


Lettuce is a wonderful cool-weather crop that is best enjoyed while the leaves are young and tender. To harvest it, all you have to do is snip off the outer leaves. Be careful not to uproot the plants. I'm finding that harvesting encourages the lettuce (and other greens like turnips, mustard and spinach) to put on new leaves.


Even though it's now too late in the season for it now, I experimented with growing lettuce a couple of years ago. I had quite a few varieties of lettuce/greens in my garden, growing them for the first time. They include Romaine, Caesar's Favorite Romaine, Fordhook Giant Swiss Chard, Purple-Top White Globe Turnips, Double Choice Hybrid Spinach, E.B. Nace Mix Mustard, Black Seeded Simpson Leaf Lettuce, and All Season Romaine Mix Leaf Lettuce. I think.


I had my doubts about whether my Square Foot Garden (the method I was using at the time) would produce enough lettuce/greens. But not to worry. I was able to get this much salad every day or two, so I was happy. It's more than it looks like. Kind of like ordering a salad at a restaurant and it seems bottomless. Ever had one of those salads?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment